Monday, April 15, 2013

From 1998-2000,* I lived an hour's drive from Newtown, CT.  In fact, I drove by the town's exit more times that I can remember.  I think that is one reason, among many, many others, I was particularly affected by the events there on December 14, 2012.  I knew that town. I had been there.  I had stopped for coffee and wandered down the idyllic main street with friends one lovely spring day.  Because of this connection (which is tenuous at best, I know), I have followed the story fairly closely.  I've been struck by the families willingness to discuss the events of that day and to share details about their children's lives.  Archer and I have talked about it a lot, and we even discussed it with Wild Man, as he heard about the shootings on the radio.  I've wept repeatedly for these children and their families, which may seem odd given that I don't know any of the families and that I was, arguably, not touched personally by this tragedy. 

Now I'm immersed in the debate for gun control, a debate that I hope will also spawn a debate on mental health care, our culture of violence, and empathy.  As I've read the news stories surrounding the upcoming Senate vote, I am unconvinced that anything will happen.  But I'm also confused.  If the gun lobbyists and those opposed to gun control believe so strongly that no legislation will be passed, why threaten to fillibuster?  Why shut down the dialogue altogether?  Perhaps gun control isn't the way to prevent similar things from occurring.  Perhaps their are better ways.  I am willing to listen, as I imagine are the millions of others who are in favor of stronger gun control.  But I do not, cannot understand the unwillingness to have a dialogue.  If we're going to make things better for our children, don't we have to talk to one another?

*I'm not titling the post, nor am I tagging it.  I'm not interested in using my blog to generate a lot of debate on gun control, even though I'd be happy to have some new readers.  I'm using my blog as a space to process my thoughts and feelings about this particular event and issue.

1 comment:

L said...

This is a really, really tough issue.

I get upset when NPR starts discussing the useless voting, what's going on in congress right now, etc. I just turn off the radio. Sigh.

Why can't they even talk? I follow Michael Moore on twitter. He's sharing so many thoughts and ideas since Newtown happened, but I feel that it's impossible for there to be a dialogue. :(