Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Trying to work

I've been trying to work for the last few weeks, with an emphasis on trying.  I've got a lot of projects that are started, but aren't yet finished.  I am fully aware that all work will stop for at least a month (if not longer) following the baby's birth, so I want to get as much done on these projects as possible.  Here is a list of the things I'm working on:
  • transforming conference paper into an article length paper
  • drafting conference paper which I will present in October
  • editing the job talk I recently gave into an article, which I hope to send out next week
  • finishing a book review that is long overdue
  • drafting a book proposal on an anthology I'm working on with two colleagues from grad school
  • researching an idea I have for a book project
  • outlining revisions I need to make to a dissertation chapter which I want to transform into an article
  • revamping a course I routinely teach into an online course (this is the only project I will not try to work on at all when I'm on leave as, by union regulations, I cannot work on anything connected to my teaching)
It is a long list, and somehow in the next two weeks I need to get our home office functional so I can use it while I'm on leave.  My hope is that by September I'll be able to work for an hour and a half a day while the baby naps.  That may only work for three days each week as Bear will be home with me and the baby two days a week (as an aside, cutting Bear down to part time and having Wild Man in school full time has dramatically cut down on our childcare costs--as in we'll be paying about a third of what we pay now), but I know, to some extent, what I'm getting into.  I'm focusing on being flexible.  I am also going to load my Kindle up with books for work that I've been wanting to read for a long time.  If anything, I'll get lots of reading done in the next few months. 

1 comment:

L said...

wow, I'm surely impressed with your productivity! I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to work after baby comes, since you're so organized and driven. I hope it all works out -- even with Bear at home for two days.